The use of increment and decrement operators in method calls or in combination with other arithmetic operators is not recommended, because:
- It can significantly impair the readability of the code.
- It introduces additional side effects into a statement, with the potential for undefined behavior.
- It is safer to use these operators in isolation from any other arithmetic operators.
Noncompliant Code Example
u8a = ++u8b + u8c--
foo = bar++ / 4
The following sequence is clearer and therefore safer:
u8a = u8b + u8c
foo = bar / 4
- CERT, EXP30-C. - Do not depend on the order of evaluation for side effects
- CERT, EXP50-CPP. - Do not depend on the order of evaluation for side
- CERT, EXP05-J. - Do not follow a write by a subsequent write or read of the
same object within an expression